Skip to main content

The Catholic School Board expropriates townhomes to build a new school

Among school closures everywhere and declining enrollment, the Catholic School Board will spend a few million dollars to buy / expropriate a few townhomes to build a new school.
.
The story is a bit vague.
The Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) decided Thursday night that 17 townhomes in North York will need to be expropriated and razed to build a new high school on the site. The meeting presented three options: to expropriate all 30 homes in the Bayview Ave. complex near Cummer Ave., adjacent to a former TDSB elementary school; to expropriate no homes; or only some homes. A 6-4 vote went with the middle-ground option, determining that homeowners to the south would be allowed to keep their homes. Residents were allowed 20 minutes in total to speak about their concerns, while others argued the need for a permanent home for the secondary school. The former elementary school at the site was purchased to give St. Joseph’s Morrow Park Secondary School a permanent home. The high school had been leasing property since the 1960s that changed hands in 2008, prompting the search. In February, all residents in the complex received an expropriation notice. As a public body, the school board is permitted under provincial legislation to take land without consent — while compensating the owner — if it’s in the broader public interest. Trustee Maria Rizzo, who was the local trustee for the all-girls school until the boundaries of her ward changed, said in February she had never supported expropriation, but the result of the uncertainty students faced has been declining enrolment, currently hovering around 600. Buying 30 townhomes is going to cost the board $28 million to $30 million. The board paid $940,000 for just one of the townhomes it bought last year.
Sources / More info: Catholic school board to expropriate some North York homes | Toronto Star
[tags: school,schooling,expropriation,tdsb]

Comments

Popular Articles

TTC proposes #RapidTO on Jane Street

Anyone who has been driving or taking the bus on Jane Street knows that it's been in need of traffic relief for quite a long time now. Finally, the City of Toronto is coming up with some ideas and you get a chance to express your view.

Andrei Zodian for City Councillor!

We learned that our president and founder is considering running for office.

Teen shot dead at Shorenham Ct Complex

We have recently learned about a teen shot dead outside a housing complex at Shoreham Ct. This is North of Driftwood and South of Steeles. more > Here's a photo of the street from Google Maps: The full text, as published by CP24: Police say that a 17-year-old boy is dead after he was shot in front of his North York home on Saturday morning. The shooting took place in front of a Toronto Community Housing complex on Shoreham Court near Jane Street at around 11:50 a.m. Police say their preliminary invetigation suggests that the shooter or shooters fired on the victim over a fence before fleeing the scene. The victim was taken to hospital by someone other than paramedics but was pronounced dead a short time later. Police initially said that a young child had been shot, however they later corrected themselves and said that the victim is 17. According to police, there are a number of witnesses who are currently being interviewed at a nearby station. Police also plan to review surveill...

Subscribe Now!

Subscribe in a reader, or by email:
Your email: